Monday, July 4, 2011

Pattern Tube

Picture
I was at a Science training yesterday and an idea was presented creating a small folded envelope in which to slide paper patterns in and out.  I thought that it would be nice to reuse paper towel rolls for the same purpose!  I didn't have any empty paper towels tubes (and I'm not sure how my husband would handle me unraveling all the paper towels for the tube), so I made a short one out of a toilet paper tube.  Now, I'm a knitter, so I have tons of scraps of yarn.  I took a length of black yarn and tied colors on to create a pattern.  To complete the activity with the children, slip the length of yarn in the tube and slowly pull the yarn out to reveal the Mystery Pattern!  Children could use this at a station by recreating the pattern with cubes or coloring.  I thought it might also be fun to print out letters of sight words, laminate and hole punch, then tie them onto the yarn and pull to figure out the sight word, letter by letter!  

1 comment:

  1. This is a great idea for sight words! I am going to do this with letters and numbers for the beginning of the school year. I may even do individual tp rolls for names. Thanks for the idea it sparks more ideas and uses.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...