Friday, April 20, 2012

Sight Word Slap Jacks

I'm always looking for new ways to practice sight words with my kids.  This game I was going to originally introduce with cards from 0-30, but I got the sight word cards cut out first!
 Partners take a deck of sight word cards and divide them between themselves.



 
I post a sight word on the board to be the 'jack.'  


The kids flip the cards one at a time and read the words.  When the 'jack' comes up, the first student to put his/her hand on it gets the pile.

 The partners then wait for the next 'jack' word and keep playing.


We had to have a little discussion about what happens if you lose all your cards before our time is up.  Instead of getting upset that you don't have any cards to flip, you wait for the 'jack' word like a tiger in a tree!    That really perked up the kids who were getting sad about losing all their cards.


Here are the words I use:
High Frequency Word Cards (3)


2 comments:

  1. What a fun sight word game! This link is to the most recent one I created and use with my kids.

    You have some really great ideas. Thanks for sharing! Thanks also for following my blog! I'm your newest follower!

    Angela
    Primarily Primary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Angela!
    I'm always looking for fun games for my kiddos.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...